Baseline in MEAL

What do you know about Baseline when it comes to MEAL, mostly it is supposed to be set alongside targets when one is creating the PMP or the M&E framework. Baseline is an important aspect to understand while in the M&E field because it is set during baseline surveys or needs assessment to guide in planning. Did you know that baseline can be used to represent two things? 1. A minimum value in which for the case of M&E is the number of people already experiencing change that you can learn from to inform the process e.g. An intervention targeting children to study yet there are some children in the community who against all odds have access of the education your intervention Intends to implement. or 2. A Starting point used for comparisons (an amount(sample) from which you will collect data during the initial data collection exercise to help you compare the change in the future as well as inform the project and MEAL process). Let us know your thoughts and also let us know your understanding of baseline.

4 Likes

During the proposal development M& E Framework is one of the requirements to be submitted . Baseline is needed for two reasons;

1. To know the conditions of the target beneficiaries prior to the intervention.
  2. To use it as bench mark for the project success and to what extent its objectives/ results are met.
3 Likes

This is true and very well understood. Thank you for your input.

1 Like

Eager to learn. Looking forward for the CME.

1 Like

I’m interested to attend such continuous professional education when organized. Thank you

1 Like

Ok thank you. I Like this information is very nices. I. ihave to adventeges of MEAL. to contues any time. Thank

1 Like

We look forward to having you learn with us.

Sure. Actually it crucial to have Baseline data when it comes M&E, it point of reference or benchmark that one would need look when Project finished. Baseline is also indispensable when we want to establish our logframe. Baseline could be initiate when we carry out initial assessments of the problem from community so that we know the extent or magnitude of the problem in period of time in particular geographical areas.

1 Like

I totally agree with your statement @MUSE, every day we have to have a starting point of reference for change interventions.

2 Likes

That’s very true and i personally I’m passionate about learning about change interventions at given opportunities.

2 Likes